Tuesday, May 20, 2008

never trust a [not-so-skinny, eighty year old] cook

I love arguing with the owner.
We have a prep cook who has this desire to cook everything from memory, without recipes.

The problem is, she is over-the-hill..almost twice, oh, and she has this obsession with using corn starch in EVERYTHING.

Today, I decided enough is enough.
The food, in all honesty, sucks when she cooks it.

I told the owner how I felt, specifically how I hate the way the gravy looks/tastes/is made. Basically, the gravy is SLOP.
She told me to make it myself, so here's the rest of the conversation.

ME: Well, why do we have a prep cook?
HER: To cook everything else.
ME: But it all looks awful.
HER: Well then maybe the cooks who don't like her food can make it.
ME: Fine.
HER: Then we won't need a prep cook.
ME: Me and [other cook] will just freaking do it then.
HER: When will you find time?
ME: Well I could do some of it right now.
HER: She is staying; let's not talk about this anymore.

There is so much wrong with that place.
The food is awful. Goldilocks would never think it's "just right".
The building itself looks like the big bad wolf could blow it over.

My boss doesn't like to listen when I complain, then says that she will tell the prep cook that the reason why she has to follow the recipes is because I DON'T LIKE THE FOOD. I said, all of the cooks complain and even the manager has told you.

I will let you know how this disaster goes. Haha.

1 comment:

samm said...

I think your place would give Hell's Kitchen a run for its money.