Thursday, June 19, 2008

On a serious note..

I wanted to just take the time to dedicate an entry to one of our usuals.
In the past, I think I've explained the definition of a "usual" or frequent customer.

Typically, it's a person whom you're previously unaquainted with but through he or she coming into the restaurant, you form some kind of friendship, if you will.
Well, I've come across my fair share, and they always stick with me.

At the restaurant I'm at now, there was a man who came in just about every day, so I saw him and spoke with him more than my own father. I knew his life story, and he listened to me complain always telling me I don't know what life was like back when he was my age. It always bothered me, because I felt like he didn't understand my life or how it is today for teenagers.

Well, about a week ago, he told me about how sometimes life gives you a bad hand, but you keep going. I jokingly told him I was ready to retire and just relax and he told me I have my whole life ahead of me. I wish I could say the same for him.

When I got to work today, I had found out that he had been in a car crash and didn't make it. His wife called the restaurant to give us the news.
Sometimes, we argued, other times, things were great. It's just further evidence at how usuals somehow turn into family.

So, Mike, this one's for you. I just wish you were around to yell at me for moving the fly traps or for not keeping my trap shut.
rest in peace.

1 comment:

paige said...

AW MAN. Waitressing is really worth it when you realize the impact you have on people and the impact they have on you. Miss you girl! Also, your post about Waiting was so funny. That stuff really does happen!